Saturday, December 27, 2008

Starting the Next Phase

Sorry it took me an entire week to write more, but with Christmas and everything... you know how it goes. First I just have to say how touched I am by all of you and your sweet comments and your constant prayers in our behalf. We feel so loved and so cared for by everyone we know and I can't tell you the difference it has made knowing how much love and support we have from so many people. Please know your prayers for Taylee have made a miraculous difference. Things could be so much worse for Taylee in so many ways, but as of now we have only gotten the very best of results and know we have our Heavenly Father to thank for that wonderful wonderful blessing. He has heard all our prayers and has been so quick to answer them so thank you all for making such a big difference in Taylee's life and in ours.

We got out of the Children's Hospital in Seattle last Sunday which was a surprise and a blessing to be able to come to my mom's. Taylee quickly started acting more like herself, but on Tues. we had to go in for doctors appointments and her first chemo infusion. The combo of being at the hospital from 11:30am to 5:30pm, no nap (which she desperatly needs now), no lunch (just snacks because we were in and out of waiting rooms all day) and all the drama she went through that day made it a very rough day for all of us. I thought if Taylee was going to be like this every day from now on I knew I couldn't handle seeing her that upset and in pain. Luckily with a good nights rest she was acting more and more like herself the next day and even better the day after that. The thing is, chemo does a lot of damage as it is doing its job. The chemo makes her constipated and nausous so she has drugs to help with that, but I just feel like we pump more and more stuff in her trying to treat symptoms for this with that, but then that drug causes this and it just isn't fun. I am sure we will get the hang of all this and know when her good days and her bad days are and how to best help this pain or problem with time. I guess I probably haven't even said yet that her surgery was amazing. They didn't find a trace of the cancer anywhere else in her body. It did not go outside the lining of her kidney and they didn't even see it in her lymph nodes which is such a blessing. They still do chemo more as a preventative measure just in case there is like a microscopic cell they couldn't see. We need to be sure everything is completly gone so we won't have to ever go through this again. She will be doing chemo for 6 months and then she should be done with all this so we just keep praying for the best results. They say she will most likely loose her hair, but my sisters are already telling me about all the cute hats they will get her so she can still look girly! We are still at my mom's right now, but are hoping to get to go home in the next few weeks. Depending on finances, the best thing would be for us to be able to do her chemo in Rexburg at the oncology center there, but the next option will be for us to drive to Salt Lake Primary Children's once a week for chemo their because they have the same kinds of programs that the Children's Hospital has here in Seattle, but at least then we could live at home. There are a lot of things still up in the air right now so we will be sure to keep you updated. Thanks again and again for everything. We love you all.

5 comments:

Kelli said...

that all sounds so good. Please keep us posted on when your planning on leaving to go home. I want to come visit but it would probably be after Kevin goes back to school and our routine is more normal. Hugs and Prayers

Jamie . Amanda . Kyla . Dalton . Isabella Meikle said...

I am so glad that things are looking up. I want you to know that Jamie's and my parents are both in Rexburg if you need anything. They will come running. Also I have a grandma in SLC. Close to Primarys. If you need a bed, let us know. They are great people and work at the conference center for the church. We know how the money thing is. So if you need the help, please, please let us help. We love you very much and our prayers are with you.

Jason and Amy said...

Hi my name is Amy (Myers) Vonk. I lived in Maple Valley for a little bit when I was in high school and was friends with Aaron and Danny. I came across your blog and just wanted to say so sorry to hear about your little girl. You seem so strong and I have been thinking about your little family since I heard the news. You seem so positive and upbeat you must be amazing people and parents. Best of luck through this journey!

- said...

Oh Im so glad that they didn't find any cancer anywhere else. and I hope these next six months will go by as fast as they can. Im sure its hard to see Taylee not herself but I can see by what you wrote that your doing all you can for her- We love you guys!

chrisncallie said...

hey courtney, i was sad to hear about little taylee. i can't imagine what you must be going through right now. it sounds like things are really looking up. if you need anything at all, please let us know! even if it's a shopping buddy ;) you're in our prayers, we love ya!!